Monday, July 13, 2015

SOULS OF THE NEVER by C.J. Ruitheford

SOULS OF THE NEVER by C.J. Ruitheford
This is the first book of a series, but there is a free prequel called ORIGINS OF THE NEVER which I already reviewed.  You can read my 4 feather review HERE.  You can also read an excerpt from chapter 15 HERE for SOULS OF THE NEVER.  I also did an author interview with C.J. on his release of the second book: WORLDS OF THE NEVER.  You can read my interview HERE.  

 
This book starts lifetimes after ORIGINS OF THE NEVER.  The prequel helps the reader understand what Sanctuary is and who Tenybris and Olume are, and the ensuing conflict between them.
Katheryne thought she was just a mere, mortal human, but she was that, and so much more.  Lately, she’s been having these terrifying nightmares where she’s on an island surrounded by an evil, fiery beast that is consuming everything around her in fire, until she too is gone.  Then one night, a man steps into her dream and saves her.  And the same man actually steps into her real life.  Through Derren and his twin sister Kista, Kat discovers what fate really has in store for her.  And it comes with some life-changing consequences.  

I really liked the characters and could easily identify with them, as C.J. does a fantastic job making them real.  I related more to Perri, the best friend and roommate, than I did with Kat, and I can’t wait to see what part she plays in the second book.  

I also enjoyed the fantasy world that Rutherford is building.  I’ve always believed in alternate/parallel universes. so this fits right in with my beliefs.  He just puts his own unique spin on it.  And, of course, the good against evil.  And it doesn’t have to be a God or Devil as we are so brainwashed to believe.  

The reason I’ve lowering my review down a notch, is because of the confusing jumping around at the beginning.  Probably due to my brain getting older.  It does all mesh together at the end, and leaves questions to make me want to read the next installment, which I already have on my TBR list.  Also, I thought some of the world building and action was too vague.  Especially the action.  I guess I’m more of an action type reader.  

Anyway, I really loved the story, I highly recommend it and I give it 4 feathers.  Can’t wait to read the next book.

Free Dog Training. Click Here.


No comments:

Post a Comment